Job Opening: Director, Marketing & Communications
Monday, September 14, 2015
MichBio is the non-profit trade association for the biosciences industry in Michigan. The organization is seeking a highly motivated and skilled marketing/communications professional who can work creatively in a small team environment.
As marketing and communications director you will be responsible for planning, initiating and managing the marketing, communications, events and public relations activities for MichBio. You will focus on promoting and expanding MichBio’s reach and impact via 1) information and advocacy content (e.g. marketing materials, e-newsletter and alerts, magazine, digital communications, news and op-eds, website, and social media) and 2) programmatic events (e.g. annual conferences and general meetings, networking, and ad hoc events). You will plan the overall communications strategy, develop branding and messaging, and promote MichBio and its programs across various media outlets including print, press releases, radio, television, direct mail, advertising, and the entire online realm of websites, social media (e.g. Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter), and related portals. You will report directly to the president/CEO, and work closely and collaboratively with the other staff to achieve MichBio's targeted strategic goals.
You should have a university degree and at least three years of experience in marketing, communications, and/or public relations. A background with non-profit or non-governmental organizations (e.g. think tank, lobbying group, political organization, academic institution), especially member-based groups, is highly desirable. You should demonstrate good relationships with media organizations, editors, and reporters. In addition, your written and oral communication skills should be excellent, as well as an ability to quickly learn new subject matter. You must be an independent thinker who is able to innovate, produce and execute compelling marketing programs, often on tight deadlines and with minimal resources. A basic understand of CMS-based websites, HTML coding, and graphic design is also desired. Experience in developing publications and event planning is essential.
- Develop and execute an integrated communications plan
- Coordinate marketing, advertising, and media programs
- Initiate, develop, coordinate, and distribute communications materials, including digital and online resources, print materials, and press releases
- Lead and manage the development and production of collateral material and print publications (e.g., bi-annual magazine, BioMatters)
- Coordinate, manage, and help develop events (either individually or with a third-party event planning company, depending on size). Also aid in event sponsorship recruitment.
- Help develop and manage the marketing and events operating budget
- Develop, implement, and manage marketing/media performance measurements
- Prepare marketing reports for the president/CEO and Board of Directors
- Develop and promote collaborative relationships with likeminded organizations and co-manage joint projects (e.g. University Research Corridor, Business Leaders for Michigan, etc.)
- Manage and oversee vendor relationships
- Ability to build, motivate, and work within a small team to accomplish project goals
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to use online marketing tools e.g. Google Analytics
- Strong knowledge of CMS-based websites and basic HTML
- Basic graphic design skills highly desired (e.g. the ability to create/prep a graphic for the web or print materials)
- Excellent “face-to-face” marketing, selling, and media skills
- Ability to be resourceful with limited available means and support
- Strong organizational and analytical skills
- Self-starter who takes initiative and is able to work independently
- Commitment to the goals and values of MichBio
Competitive salary commensurate with experience.
Send cover letter, resume, salary requirements and 3 examples of your best marketing pieces to: firstname.lastname@example.org.